I started a charity, called 501 Voices it is not 501(c)3 yet but working on it. i give tablets and i tune gift cards to non-verbal children of low to moderate income families that do not have means to buy one on there own. I spend roughly $200 to $350 on the iPad and another $250 to $300 for the actual app most popular is Proloquo2Go. I have given out 24 of these "Voices" so far, my goal is to give out 501Voices. the first one i gave was back in Dec 2016. was an iPad 4, at the time it was great iPad, bought it for $380.

now, that first Voice, Voice #1 is having major issues on the app as she cannot update it.

iPad 4 can only do IOS 10, and now you need 11.4 on Prloquo2Go to run with all its updates.

I get they want to keep coming out with better stuff both the app and the iPad, but why make the older version STOP WORKING- you are literally taking away a voice for these children!!!

I simply will not be able to purchase a new iPad every few years for 501 kids!

If anyone out there can help me please let me know.

Product or Service Mentioned: Apple Itunes Software Upgrade.

Reason of review: Apple not allowing old version to stay on Ipad and work correctly.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Comments

Mark, you're a good person. The work you're doing is selfless and wonderfully helpful.

I believe there's a special corner of Heaven for guys like you and my Dad. If there isn't, there should be ...

Too much technical reference with no explanation to the layman. I'm not a troll or a moron, but I don't recognize or understand most of it. My elderly father purchased 100 I-pads for his childhood school district ; they are used by autistic children most of whom seem to respond very strongly to the devices.

@Anonymous

Sorry for the jargon, if your child was non verbal, you would get it. Basically Apple plans functional obsolescence on all iPads forcing people to buy the newer version

@Mark Mayfield

I'm sure you're correct about planned obsolescence. That's been a policy with so many manufacturers for decades.

I don't care if they improve something or introduce a new model (that's progress) but they absolutely should not make them incompatible with existing models. And I have seen plenty of non verbal kids, re: the part about my Dad and the 100 I-pads - but you're right, my kid is overly verbal and never shuts up !

Amen!