Verified Reviewer

I have been paying for APPLE CARE PLUS THEFT AND LOSS since August 2019 for my 16-year-old son's iPhone XS Max ($14.99/mo). Several months ago (unbeknownst to me) he disabled "Find my iPhone" apparently because he did not want us "spying on him." Clearly, he had no clue what this feature does, but that is beside my point.

Regardless, at some point between now last Aug he disabled it. He did not receive a notification that it was disabled via email nor did I.

Two days ago, while at the lake with our family, he dropped in into 80' of water at the bottom of the lake. Myself, my husband, his brother, and his grandparents all watched as it sank. Because he had disabled the "find my iPhone" feature, APPLE and ASSURANT have both refused to honor the insurance on the phone.

I understand why "find my iPhone" needs to be on to file a theft/loss claim however, my teenage son did this without my knowledge or approval and apple care continued to cover the phone for months and months with this feature disabled. Shouldn't they have notified me or my teenage son via email that this feature was off which would in turn void any claims made on the phone?

The customer service I have received from both APPLE and ASSURANT have been appalling, heartless, and hurtful.

Now I am out all the money I spent in insurance PLUS $650 that was still owed on the phone PLUS the cost of a new phone. Can't apple make some recompense given this issue since I believe I should have been notified or at the very minimum he should have been notified that the "Find My Iphone" feature was disabled on the insured phone.

Please help.

User's recommendation: DO NOT GET.

Apple Cons: Lack of answer, Lack of accountability, Wont stand behind their products, No representative is on the same page, Incompetence.

Comments